Thursday, January 3, 2013

Prologue.

Hey.

As I think about how to start off this blog, I find myself quite conflicted. For the last week I have gone back and forth with myself about the notion of a blog. This does not come naturally to me. The notion of putting my thoughts to paper seems very self-righteous to me. It's not necessarily the act of doing so, but rather the mode of delivery. A blog implies that I want people to take time out of their day and give a crap about what I have to say... For some reason that I have yet to identify, that idea makes me uncomfortable. 

However, I think it'll be really fun to document the climbing trip I (Zach) and my fiance (Emily) are about to go on. I think that a blog is the most realistic way to do it well for me. It can be as much or as little as I want it to be. As of right now, I am looking for something quick and dirty. Easy for me to produce and you to consume. Sound fair?

"The Victory Lap?"
Yep. This trip started quite a few years ago in my brain. I do well with rewards. Giving myself rewards makes be get stuff done. This trip is a reward. I finally finished the classes for my undergrad. With only the internship requirement left, it is time for REWARD. I have been working hard for the last few years. Getting through the grind of my undergraduate program is the single hardest thing I have ever done. I know I will not feel truely accomplished until I get my diploma, but it is not the time for that. For now, it is time for my girl and I to drive in a big circle across the US and climb rocks. Time for The Victory Lap.

-Zach


p.s. - I was gonna include a long, drown out section owning up to the fact that, YES, I know every climber and his mom has a blog now. it's the thing to do. I get it. Blah, blah, blah. I didn't feel the need to be apologetic about wanting to do this. so I added a cop-out post script instead of sticking to my guns. Get over it so I can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment